About the Essential Skills
The Government of Canada and other national and international agencies have identified and validated nine key essential skills for the workplace.
The Essential Skills are a major component of all SCC events, including:
23rd Skills Canada National Competition
RBC Convention Centre
May 31 – June 3, 2017
Bridging the Gap between the Classroom and the Workplace with Essential Skills
New Essential Skills Mobile App Assessment Tool for Teachers and Students
Essential Skills Mobile App Features
- Profiles of over 40 different trade and technology careers.
- Summary of the Nine Essential Skills for the workplace.
- A comprehensive set of questions that can be completed on average in 15-20 minutes. Results are provided as a star rating link to careers in trade and technology sectors.
- Social Media features for users to share their results with friends, teachers and parents. Students can post and compare their results to see how their friends are performing and progressing. Teachers can use the App as a classroom tool.
- A link to the Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) Office of Literacy and Essential skills with access to all the National Occupational Profiles. Results can be compared against the levels of complexity in the ESDC profiles for specific skilled trade careers.
- A directory of all trade and technology schools and training facilities in Canada.
The Essential Skills Mobile App is designed for iPhone®, iPad® and iPod Touch® and android devices and is currently available free for download in the App Store and Google Play.